Registered training organisations (RTOs) are those training providers registered by ASQA (or, in some cases, a state regulator) to deliver VET services.
RTOs are recognised as providers of quality-assured and nationally recognised training and qualifications. There are currently around 5000 RTOs in Australia. A complete list of RTOs is maintained at training.gov.au, the authoritative national register of the VET sector in Australia.
- Deliver nationally recognised courses and accredited Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) VET qualifications.
- Apply for Australian, state and territory funding to deliver vocational education and training.
- Offer qualifications at the following levels:
Being registered by ASQA means an RTO must act in your best interests and meet the Standards for NVR Registered Training Organisations.
Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) offer a wide range of courses and qualifications in multiple fields. This includes Certificate I level through to diplomas, advanced diplomas e.g. hospitality, mechanics, engineering, nursing, sports therapies, etc.
By studying with an RTO, learners benefit from:
- Participating in a course that is being delivered close to home
- Smaller classe sizes
- Flexible learning environments
- Links to employers and industry
- Tailored courses to meet learner needs.
Find a course near you.
Disability Standards for Education
RTOs will be aware of the disability education standards (www.ddaedustandards.info), however here are some tips for making contact with a private RTO regarding individuals learning needs:
- Each RTO will vary in size and course delivery mode.
- Most RTOs will have an enrolment process.
- It is important to flag the student’s need for support early and be prepared to supply any supporting documentation which clearly specifies any accommodations that may be needed by the students.
- It is recommended that each student and a supporting guardian make direct contact with the RTO’s senior management to negotiate the request for reasonable adjustments.
For more information on transition go to Transition from Secondary School section.