Local Government

Local Government

What Local Government (Council) Does

Council activities are diverse and extensive. They maintain significant infrastructure, provide a range of services and enforce various laws for their communities.

Community infrastructure maintained by councils in Victoria is includes roads, bridges, drains, town halls, libraries, recreation facilities, parks and gardens.

Services provided by councils are diverse. They include property, economic, human, recreational and cultural services. Councils also enforce State and local laws relating to such matters as land use planning, environment protection, public health, traffic and parking and animal management.

To find your local council click here. 

People Services

Councils provide a range of support services and facilities to assist people and groups in their municipality. These services are often funded through partnerships between the State and/or Federal Governments, however some services may incur a fee to offset costs.

The following are examples of services that Councils often provide. Not all Councils provide the same services therefore it is advisable that you contact your local council for information about the precise services available in your area.

Family and Young Children’s Services

Councils have a range of services that support families and young children. Health services, day care facilities and play groups are council services that assist parents in raising their children and maintain the well-being of young children.

Some council services for families and young children may include:

  • School Bus Programs
  • Neighbourhood and Community Houses
  • School Holiday Programs

Youth Services

Councils provide services for young people in their municipality to support their growth and development and provide an avenue for meeting other young people in the area.

Some youth services that local council may provide are:

  • Counselling Services
  • Drug and Alcohol Services
  • Skate Parks
  • Youth Oriented Festivals
  • Neighbourhood Houses
  • Sports Programs
  • Youth Based Advisory Councils

Disability Services

Councils want to ensure that services are accessible to all members of the community. Councils provide programs and services that assist people with a disability to participate in community activities.

Council services for people with a disability may include:

  • Support Services for People with a Disability
  • Delivered Meals Services
  • Personal Care Assistance
  • Community Buses
  • Accessible Arts and Recreational Programs

Disabled Parking Permits

Disability Parking

A state-wide Disabled Persons’ Parking Scheme currently operates in Victoria. The current scheme provides for two permit categories with varying parking concessions based on the applicant’s need for assistance.

Permanent disability parking permits

To be eligible for a category one permit:

  •  A Medical Practitioner must confirm that an individual has a significant ambulatory disability and they cannot access a vehicle in an ordinary parking bay, or they are required to use a complex walking aid* that prevents access to a vehicle in an ordinary parking bay, or
  • A Medical Practitioner must confirm that an individual has either an acute or chronic illness in which minimal walking may endanger their health, or
  • A Specialist Medical Practitioner or Clinical Psychologist must confirm that an individual is an extreme danger to themselves and others in a public place without assistance by a carer

*A complex walking aid is defined as an aid which has more than one contact point with the ground

To be eligible for a category two permit:

  • A Medical Practitioner must confirm that an individual has a significant ambulatory disability or severe illness which does not affect their ability to walk, however they require rest breaks when continuous walking is undertaken

Temporary disability parking permits

Temporary permits will be issued to an individual ability to walk is significantly restricted on a temporary basis and is not likely to improve within six months. A further medical certificate must be presented for the permit to be renewed.

Organisation disability parking permits      

Organisations transporting individuals who meet the eligibility criteria are required to complete a separate application form. Eligible organisations will receive a permit for 12 months.

Parking for permit holders

A disability parking permit does not entitle the permit holder to free parking, unless stated on the permissive parking sign. Parking can differ from one local council to another and permit holders should always check the permissive parking sign. A permissive parking sign is a sign erected by a responsible road authority in accordance with regulation 10 of the Road Safety (Traffic Management) Regulations 2009.

Category one (blue) and category two (green) permit holders are entitled to park for twice as long as indicated by a permissive parking sign (under Road Rule 206). The initial parking fee would have to be paid, but that payment would cover twice the length of time than it would for a non-permit holder. e.g. in a 1P parking bay upon payment of the initial parking fee for 1 hour the permit holder may park for up to 2 hours.

In addition, category one (blue) permit holders may park in reserved disability parking bays displaying the International Symbol of Access (ISA), to which a permissive parking sign applies.

Please take particular care when parking in car parks not displaying permissive parking signs, as parking concessions might not apply. For example car parks that require payment on exit are generally operated by contract rather than by using permissive parking signs under the Road Rules, and the amounts they charge for parking will apply equally to all users.

How to apply

Application forms are available from your local council. Permits will only be issued to residents living in the council area.

The first part of the application form must be completed by the individual or someone on their behalf. The remainder of the application form must be completed by a Specialist Medical Practitioner or Clinical Psychologist for intellectual disabilities, or a Medical Practitioner for all other disabilities.

The completed form must then be returned to your local council. The individual or someone on their behalf is responsible for any fees incurred in the completion of the form.

The Disability Parking Information was sourced from the Vic Roads Website and was current at the time of publication.